Day to Day Workflow Improvements
So the workflow for development at work is this:
- Develop on code locally using Eclipse
- Push changes to the build server.
- build on the build server.
- pull down any compiled files to local machine if required.
- package up the code on the build server.
- push the package to a piece of hardware for testing.
This whole process could be much simplified with points 2) and 4) if I could simply develop on the build server using the vs code remote development tools. Not only 2) and 4) would be much improved but since you can actually use the terminal built into vscode to operate on the filesystem of the remote machine then I could also run the make commands for doing the whole build and packaging process as well.
This seems ridiculously powerful!
WSL may actually be usable
- I prefer developing python on Unix based systems as I have full access to the bash shell and installing python and working with packages is much simpler there.
- Not many video games have installs for Linux so it keeps me productive :)
So Windows Subsystem for Linux seemed really good apart from you can't use any Editors with the WSL files... until now!
I would no longer have to work in vi/vim if I wanted to do any python development in WSL, instead I can use the remote development tools of vscode to have the same workflow as I would on a unix based machine. This would make using WSL on windows a possibility for me and save me some much needed space on my SSD as I will only need one OS :)