I managed to create a new UI for the game which is all hooked up to the game code as well so as soon as I have some events that will either lose lives or add to the score then the User Interface will look a little more impressive. All this is done using the JBEngine's Awesomium Integration and just shows I have done quite a good job as I've managed to get it up and running fairly quickly.
I have also added some models for the player and enemies which I have on my computer from years ago whilst at uni. These models aren't likely to be the final ones but for now they are much better placeholders than the cube I was previously using.
Finally, I have added a firing sound for the bullet. This again was fairly easy to implement as I had already done a good job with the JBEngine's Sound Library. Okay so I've explained what I've done, here is a video of the game in it's current state:
Everything is moving along really well. The next thing that needs doing is sorting out either the physics which hasn't been touched for a long time ( which is very worrying ), or to get the basic enemy player movement done.