Today has been my first proper day developing the game and it has not gone well. I started the day creating some player controllable Game Objects like platforms and balls which is one of the main mechanics of the dare to be digital entry we created. I added some particle systems to show that interaction is possible by the presence of a green glow around the object. I also implemented a currently selected Object which switched to a red glow. I then wanted to implement a scrolling of the objects based on distance from the player and ran into a few problems so I decided to browse the asset store for some sample C# scripts for me to have a look at.
Whilst browsing I accidentally imported some assets into my game and it now doesn't work. For some strange reason none of the animations for the main player work, he travels at peculiar speeds and the physics on other objects does not work. I have deleted all these imported assets and it still doesn't work. After a lot of fiddling and removing certain things I have now realised I need to start with a blank project.
The plus side to this is that I have already created loads of prefabs and scripts that can be thrown straight into this new project file. I will have to be careful not to do too much however or I may end up with the same project that doesn't work.
This has taught me a great lesson that I still need to do versioning even though I'm using a professional Engine like Unity because it appears there isn't actually that much you can undo. I Should be back to the part where I broke the project fairly shortly and will be able to continue development tomorrow.
All in all I would have to write this off as a "Learning Day".